I received this book for free from Razorbill in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza
Series: Empress of a Thousand Skies #1
Published by Razorbill on February 8th, 2017
Genres: Sci-Fi, YA
Buy on Amazon
CROWN PRINCESS RHIANNON TA'AN WANTS VENGEANCE.
The only surviving heir to an ancient Kalusian dynasty, RHEE has spent her life training to destroy the people who killed her family. Now, on the eve of her coronation, the time has finally come for Rhee to claim her throne - and her revenge.
ALYOSHA is a Wraetan who has risen above his war refugee origins to find fame as the dashing star of a DroneVision show. Despite his popularity, Aly struggles with anti-Wraetan prejudices and the pressure of being perfect in the public eye.
Their paths collide with one brutal act of violence: Rhee is attacked, barely escaping with her life. Aly is blamed for her presumed murder.
The princess and her accused killer are forced to go into hiding - even as a war between planets is waged in Rhee's name. But soon, Rhee and Aly discover that the assassination attempt is just one part of a sinister plot. Bound together by an evil that only they can stop, the two fugitives must join forces to save the galaxy.
I don’t know how to start this review, guysssssss. Empress of a Thousand Skies WAS AMAZING. LIKE I ACTUALLY CANNOT even formulate words even though its been almost a week since I read it. ITS GOT EVERYTHING. People on the run, royalty, secrets, betrayal and hints of romances. YES, MULTIPLE ROMANCES I THINK. I could be wrong.
Did you really like Illuminae? Read this fucking book and love it even more. Seriously. ITS THAT GOOD.
Reasons to Read Empress of a Thousand Skies
1. The world building. I love the complexity of the world. I love that the racial struggles IRL are addressed through racial struggles within the novel and I love the commentary that is made through these struggles. Empress of a Thousand Skies is and tries to reflect on our society by looking at struggles in this fictional society.
2. Crown Princess Rhiannon Ta’an. I love that being shoved into the real world isn’t easy for her and comes with a learning curve. She is obviously very smart and able to take care of herself but she has been sheltered from the world so being in the real world comes with some surprises.
3. THE PLOT. AKA the reason why this book is addicting and why you will be heartbroken when its all over and you have to wait an entire YEAR for book 2 to come out. This book has it all; mystery, betrayal, urgency and its all combined with good pacing that will keep you turning those pages and getting even more and more anxious about what is going to H A P P E N.
4. Because I said so. I am the only person that matters ever so just read it.
Actual footage of me after finishing the book:
4.5 Hot Espressos
Latest posts by Rashika (see all)
- Not a Good Addition to the Series: Alone in the Wild by Kelley Armstrong - January 29, 2020
- A Mixed Bag: Scavenge the Stars by Tara Sim - January 20, 2020
- Light-Hearted and Thoughtful: The Right Swipe by Alisha Rai - December 18, 2019
- Romance Mini Reviews #5: Trio of Contemporary Goodness - December 10, 2019
I am so glad you liked this book! I was just approved for it on Netgalley but was feeling kind of uncertain. Now, I can’t wait!!!! Thank you so much for your review!
Ksenia @ Something Delicate
Wow, such high praise. I wish this book had romance in it, this may sound shallow, but I prefer books with some love story. For some reason I can’t see your photo…
Basically I was convinced at the third point LOL.
Also yes, SPACE. I don’t know why I am putting this off, I think mainly because I have 249038602 other books to read. But I actually might pair this up with when Mass Effect Andromeda comes out, IN 21 DAYS
Better than Illuminae?! You have my attention!
This book is currently sitting on my shelves (has been for a few weeks now) and is softly calling my name.
After reading your review i could hear it litereally screaming at me!
I can’t wait to read it now!!
I haven’t read the book but I LOVE the cover! I need to add it on my ro-read!