5 Fun Facts about THIS IS HOW IT HAPPENED:
1. This story takes place part in St. Louis, where I grew up, and part in Springdale, Utah, one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. (And if you know me, you know I’ve been lucky enough to visit a lot of beautiful places!)
2. This book starts with a blog post and goes on to include a lot of tweets and comments. Some of the blogger and commenter names are secret homages to personal friends and fictional characters I love. Look closely and you’ll find little references to stuff like The Crow and the TV show UnReal.
3. Main character Genevieve has divorced parents, one of whom has remarried. I know that isn’t exactly a “fun fact” but it’s meaningful to me because my own parents underwent a pretty harsh divorce when I was eighteen and this book gave me the opportunity to tap into and explore some of the pain and conflict from that time.
4. Genevieve is a runner who also becomes a bit of a hiker when she finds herself in gorgeous Zion National Park. The hike Genevieve and Elliott go on together is called Angel’s Landing and it’s a real hike that I’ve done several times. It’s also a hike where several people have died.
5. One of the first people Genevieve meets when she arrives in Springdale is Elliott, a nineteen-year-old park guide with two amazing dads, one of which is a competitor on American Ninja Warrior. Do you guys know how much I love American Ninja Warrior? Do you?? I will spare you a long speech about how good that show is and how it’s the epitome of triumph over adversity and focus over distraction and good sportsmanship and camaraderie and, well, I guess I won’t spare you the speech after all. But there’s a little bit of ANW in this book and I did so much Warped Wall research that I’m almost ready to give it a try myself 😉