Okay, so this is just starting to be far too much fun. I got together with Stella (It’s Too Late To Apologize) again recently and we decided to talk about romance in novels. No, not about the romance genre, but more so romance within books of multiple genres. We ended up rambling about NA (could the people in these books get any more dysfunctional?), Insta-Love and even went into some erotica talk. I hope you guys enjoy!
- New Adult romances seem to be comprised of the most broken people you could ever fathom. It really seems like the authors just try to think of the most emotionally scarring scenarios they can and just throw them at multiple characters in the novel. What bothers me about this is how these people then start diving head first into these romances and end up being saved by it. I don’t think it’s realistic that a romance can save the characters presented in these novels.
- Stella can’t stand it when the man in the romance is the rich professional who is perfect in every way and wants to shower her with her every want. How hard is it to love those guys? C’mon how hard is to fall for Tom Brady? And is that real life? Where is the struggle people?
- Novels in the YA genre seem to be very romance heavy these days. Sometimes it even feels as though the romance is just thrown in there because it’s the formula and the author feels it should have one. Not all romance is necessary!
- Insta-Love! Sometimes it can be forgivable if the characters still maintain who they are, but it drives us crazy when the characters lose who they are once they fall in love. So often the women in YA novels lose sight of their goals and what they want in their life once they find a man, it just becomes all about the man.
- Stella wants to see more female dominants in erotica, she thinks 50 Shades of Grey seems to have started a trend that is keeping the women as submissives.
We’re looking for topic suggestions for future BGDC posts! What would YOU like to discuss (can be anything from vents to advice)?
Leave a topic suggestion via this form!
Latest posts by (see all)
- 3 Books To Get You Geared Up For Summer - April 26, 2017
- Fresh Batch (April 23rd – 29th) - April 22, 2017
- The Infinite Variants of YA: The One Where Erin Gough Has to Choose Between Being Lost at Sea or in the Woods - April 20, 2017
- Giveaway: Defy the Stars by Claudia Gray - April 19, 2017