I received this book for free from in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Secret Coders Published by First Second on September 29th, 2015
Genres: Graphic Novel, Middle-Grade
Buy on Amazon
Welcome to Stately Academy, a school which is just crawling with mysteries to be solved! The founder of the school left many clues and puzzles to challenge his enterprising students. Using their wits and their growing prowess with coding, Hopper and her friend Eni are going to solve the mystery of Stately Academy no matter what it takes!
Things to know about Secret Coders by Gene Luen Yang
1. It’s for a much younger audience. I didn’t realize this at first but while I was reading it, it become clear that I was not the intended audience of Secret Coders. This didn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy the graphic novel, it just meant that it took me longer to get involved in the novel.
2. It isn’t just about coding and computer science-y stuff. If that isn’t your thing, don’t worry. It isn’t my thing either but I definitely enjoyed Secret Coders. There is a mystery element that makes itself known towards the end of the novel and that is what tied the knot for me. I want more Secret Coders because I needs to know the answers.
3. The illustrations are AMAZING. They aren’t in full color but they are so much fun to look attttt.
4. Themes. Okay, so now I feel like I am writing a book report a la 8th grade but THE BOOK HAS SOME REALLY GOOD THEMES relating to identity, family and such. Also there is one really amazing friendship that made me super happy to read about.
Basically, I don’t know how much someone over the age of 12 would enjoy the book but I am definitely not 12 any more and enjoyed it so I’d still say it’s worth giving a shot or recommending to a younger kid you know! Also, can I haz book 2? I want more time with these kids.
3.5 Hot Espressos
Latest posts by Rashika (see all)
- Not a Good Addition to the Series: Alone in the Wild by Kelley Armstrong - January 29, 2020
- A Mixed Bag: Scavenge the Stars by Tara Sim - January 20, 2020
- Light-Hearted and Thoughtful: The Right Swipe by Alisha Rai - December 18, 2019
- Romance Mini Reviews #5: Trio of Contemporary Goodness - December 10, 2019
hi love u website.
plz visit my blog http://www.thebookbrats.blogspot.com