Genre: Graphic Novel, Middle-Grade
Publication date: September 29th, 2015
by First Second
Welcome to Stately Academy, a school which is just crawling with mysteries to be solved! The founder of the school left many clues and puzzles to challenge his enterprising students. Using their wits and their growing prowess with coding, Hopper and her friend Eni are going to solve the mystery of Stately Academy no matter what it takes!
-A copy was provided by for review-
Things to know about Secret Coders by Gene Luen Yang
1. It’s for a much younger audience. I didn’t realize this at first but while I was reading it, it become clear that I was not the intended audience of Secret Coders. This didn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy the graphic novel, it just meant that it took me longer to get involved in the novel.
2. It isn’t just about coding and computer science-y stuff. If that isn’t your thing, don’t worry. It isn’t my thing either but I definitely enjoyed Secret Coders. There is a mystery element that makes itself known towards the end of the novel and that is what tied the knot for me. I want more Secret Coders because I needs to know the answers.
3. The illustrations are AMAZING. They aren’t in full color but they are so much fun to look attttt.
4. Themes. Okay, so now I feel like I am writing a book report a la 8th grade but THE BOOK HAS SOME REALLY GOOD THEMES relating to identity, family and such. Also there is one really amazing friendship that made me super happy to read about.
Basically, I don’t know how much someone over the age of 12 would enjoy the book but I am definitely not 12 any more and enjoyed it so I’d still say it’s worth giving a shot or recommending to a younger kid you know! Also, can I haz book 2? I want more time with these kids.
Latest posts by Rashika (see all)
- Mini Reviews: Adult Contemporary Romance Edition - May 19, 2019
- Mini Reviews: YA Contemporary Romance edition - May 10, 2019
- Relevant, Funny and Swoony: A Prince on Paper by Alyssa Cole - April 30, 2019
- 24 Romance Novels I Am Anticipating in 2019 - April 24, 2019