Summer is approaching and with temperatures soaring back up within reason, it’s time for everyone to start getting their summer reading lists together! Personally, my fav things to read during the summer are warm, insightful contemporaries that just make me feel good on the inside. SO. HERE ARE THREE great contemporaries that I’ve read and I think would make A+ summer reads.
1. Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett
- YA Retelling of You’ve Got Mail
- Online friends who’ve never met but bonded over classic movies
- Summer romances
I’ve read and loved everything I’ve ever read by Jenn Bennett so I wasn’t surprised to find myself loving this book. Bennett has a knack for writing swoony, shippy romances that’ll make your heart feel mushy inside.
2. The Whole Thing Together by Ann Brashares
- Sibling relationships
- New relationships
- Family secrets
- New friendships
The Whole Thing Together is Brashares at her best. Nobody can write a summer contemporary novel like Brashares does and this time she explores family bonds. You will probably cry at some point as you read the book. The book also explores some race and religion issues!
3. The Education of Margot Sanchez by Lilliam Rivera
- YA Retelling of Pretty in Pink
- Girl has to work at her family’s grocery store over the summer
- Re-kindling friendships
- Coming of Age
The Education of Margot Sanchez is such a warm, summery read about a girl who has a lot of learning to do. Margot Sanchez has a reputation to maintain but at what cost? As she re-kindles friendships and meets new people, she begins to rediscover herself and what it means to be Margot Sanchez. Rivera crafts such a compelling coming of age story and I cannot wait to read what else she has in store.
**note that none of the images used in the collages are mine, all were found using Pinterest**
Latest posts by Rashika (see all)
- Not a Good Addition to the Series: Alone in the Wild by Kelley Armstrong - January 29, 2020
- A Mixed Bag: Scavenge the Stars by Tara Sim - January 20, 2020
- Light-Hearted and Thoughtful: The Right Swipe by Alisha Rai - December 18, 2019
- Romance Mini Reviews #5: Trio of Contemporary Goodness - December 10, 2019