Fresh Batch, posted weekly, keeps you up to date on the hottest releases of the upcoming week.
Flavor of the week:
Onyx and Ivory
Publication date: May 15th 2018
by Balzer + Bray
They call her Traitor Kate. It’s a title Kate Brighton inherited from her father after he tried to assassinate the high king years ago. Now Kate lives as an outcast, clinging to the fringes of society as a member of the Relay, the imperial courier service. Only those most skilled in riding and bow hunting ride for the Relay; and only the fastest survive, for when dark falls, the nightdrakes—deadly flightless dragons—come out to hunt. Fortunately, Kate has a secret edge: she is a wilder, born with magic that allows her to influence the minds of animals. But it’s this magic that she needs to keep hidden, as being a wilder is forbidden, punishable by death or exile. And it’s this magic that leads her to a caravan massacred by nightdrakes in broad daylight—the only survivor her childhood friend, her first love, the boy she swore to forget, the boy who broke her heart.
The high king’s second son, Corwin Tormane, never asked to lead. Even as he waits for the uror—the once-in-a-generation ritual to decide which of the king’s children will succeed him—he knows it’s always been his brother who will assume the throne. And that’s fine by him. He’d rather spend his days away from the palace, away from the sight of his father, broken with sickness from the attempt on his life. But the peacekeeping tour Corwin is on has given him too much time to reflect upon the night he saved his father’s life—the night he condemned the would-be killer to death and lost the girl he loved. Which is why he takes it on himself to investigate rumors of unrest in one of the remote city-states, only for his caravan to be attacked—and for him to be saved by Kate.
With their paths once more entangled, Kate and Corwin have to put the past behind them. The threat of drakes who attack in the daylight is only the beginning of a darker menace stirring in the kingdom—one whose origins have dire implications for Kate’s father’s attack upon the king and will thrust them into the middle of a brewing civil war in the kingdom of Rime.
Other releases this week:
* In no particular order *
– My So-Called Bollywood Life by Nisha Sharma [Purchase]
– Girl Made of Stars by Ashley Herring Blake [Purchase]
– Hinder (Guardian of Monsters #1) by Kristin Ping [Purchase]
– The Plastic Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy spin-off) by Charlie N. Holmberg [Purchase]
– Out of the Blue (Out of the Blue #1) by Sophie Cameron [Purchase]
– The Penderwicks at Last (The Penderwicks #5) by Jeanne Birdsall[Purchase]
– All of This Is True by Lygia Day Peñaflor [Purchase]
– Airports, Exes, and Other Things I’m Over by Shani Petroff [Purchase]
– The Queen of Sorrow (The Queens of Renthia #3) by Sarah Beth Durst [Purchase]
– Love & Other Carnivorous Plants by Florence Gonsalves [Purchase]
– War Storm (Red Queen #4) by Victoria Aveyard [Purchase]
– Nothing Happened by Molly Booth [Purchase]
– What I Leave Behind by Alison McGhee [Purchase]
– The Gone Away Place by Christopher Barzak [Purchase]
– How I Resist: Activism and Hope for the Next Generation [Purchase]
– Alpha Wave (The Elusive Spark #2) by Andrew Demcak [Purchase]
– When the Beat Drops by Anna Hecker [Purchase]
– The Girls’ Guide to Conquering Life: How to Ace an Interview, Change a Tire, Talk to a Guy, and 97 Other Skills You Need to Thrive [Purchase]
– The Accidental Bad Girl by Maxine Kaplan [Purchase]
– The Game Can’t Love You Back by Karole Cozzo [Purchase]
What’s on your wishlist this week?