Fresh Batch, posted weekly, keeps you up to date on the hottest releases of the upcoming week.
Flavor of the week:
Girls of Paper and Fire
Publication date: November 6th 2018
by Jimmy Patterson Books
Each year, eight beautiful girls are chosen as Paper Girls to serve the king. It’s the highest honor they could hope for…and the most cruel.
But this year, there’s a ninth girl. And instead of paper, she’s made of fire.
In this lush fantasy, Lei is a member of the Paper caste, the lowest and most oppressed class in Ikhara. She lives in a remote village with her father, where the decade-old trauma of watching her mother snatched by royal guards still haunts her. Now, the guards are back, and this time it’s Lei they’re after–the girl whose golden eyes have piqued the king’s interest.
Over weeks of training in the opulent but stifling palace, Lei and eight other girls learn the skills and charm that befit being a king’s consort. But Lei isn’t content to watch her fate consume her. Instead, she does the unthinkable–she falls in love. Her forbidden romance becomes enmeshed with an explosive plot that threatens the very foundation of Ikhara, and Lei, still the wide-eyed country girl at heart, must decide just how far she’s willing to go for justice and revenge.
TW: violence and sexual abuse.
Other releases this week:
* In no particular order *
– Frozen Reign (Burning Glass #3) by Kathryn Purdie [Purchase]
– This Is What It Feels Like by Rebecca Barrow [Purchase]
– Archenemies (Renegades #2) by Marissa Meyer [Purchase]
– Empress of All Seasons by Emiko Jean [Purchase]
– Skyward (Skyward #1) by Brandon Sanderson [Purchase]
– Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix (Rise of the Empress #2) by Julie C. Dao [Purchase]
– Angel and Bavar by Amy Wilson [Purchase]
– Henry & Eva and the Castle on the Cliff (Henry & Eva #1) by Andrea Portes [Purchase]
– Umbertouched (Rosemarked #2) by Livia Blackburne [Purchase]
– Little White Lies (Debutantes #1) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes [Purchase]
– Mammoth by Jill Baguchinsky [Purchase]
– The Wren Hunt by Mary Watson [Purchase]
– Toxic by Lydia Kang [Purchase]
– Sleep, Don’t Fret (Sisters of Bloodcreek #2) by Mary Gray & Cammie Larsen [Purchase]
– Hide With Me by Sorboni Banerjee [Purchase]
– The Revolution of Jack Frost by K.M. Robinson [Purchase]
What’s catching your eye this week?
Latest posts by Giselle (see all)
- Review: House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin A. Craig - July 16, 2019
- Fresh Batch (July 14th – 20th) - July 13, 2019
- Review: The Arrival of Someday by Jen Malone - July 9, 2019
- Fresh Batch (July 7th – 13th) - July 6, 2019