Fresh Batch, posted weekly, keeps you up to date on the hottest releases of the upcoming week.
Flavor of the week:
Descendant of the Crane
Publication date: April 9th 2019
by Albert Whitman Company
Princess Hesina of Yan has always been eager to shirk the responsibilities of the crown, dreaming of an unremarkable life. But when her beloved father is found dead, she’s thrust into power, suddenly the queen of a surprisingly unstable kingdom. What’s more, Hesina believes that her father was murdered—and that the killer is someone close to her.
Hesina’s court is packed full of dissemblers and deceivers eager to use the king’s death for political gain, each as plausibly guilty as the next. Her advisers would like her to blame the neighboring kingdom of Kendi’a, whose ruler has been mustering for war. Determined to find her father’s actual killer, Hesina does something desperate: she enlists the aid of a soothsayer—a treasonous act, punishable by
death, since magic was outlawed centuries ago.
Using the information provided by the sooth, and uncertain if she can trust her family, Hesina turns to Akira—a brilliant investigator who’s also a convicted criminal with secrets of his own. With the future of Yan at stake, can Hesina find justice for her father? Or will the cost be too high?
Other releases this week:
* In no particular order *
– Love & Other Curses by Michael Thomas Ford [Purchase]
– Lost Roses by Martha Hall Kelly [Purchase]
– Through the White Wood by Jessica Leake [Purchase]
– Dreaming Darkly by Caitlin Kittredge [Purchase]
– In the Neighborhood of True by Susan Kaplan Carlton [Purchase]
– The Sound of Drowning by Katherine Fleet [Purchase]
– Girls on the Verge by Sharon Biggs Waller [Purchase]
– This Book Is Not Yet Rated by Peter Bognanni [Purchase]
– When Summer Ends by Jessica Pennington [Purchase]
– Every Moment After by Joseph Moldover [Purchase]
– How to Make Friends with the Dark by Kathleen Glasgow [Purchase]
– The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses #1) by Cassandra Clare & Wesley Chu [Purchase]
– In the Key of Nira Ghani by Natasha Deen [Purchase]
– The House Children: A Novel by Heidi Daniele [Purchase]
– The Sword and the Dagger by Robert Cochran [Purchase]
– Tudor Rose by W.H. Doyle [Purchase]
What’s catching your eye this week?