Fresh Batch, posted weekly, keeps you up to date on the hottest releases of the upcoming week.
Flavor of the week:
Spin the Dawn
Series: The Blood of Stars #1
Publication date: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers
by July 9th 2019
Project Runway meets Mulan in this sweeping YA fantasy about a young girl who poses as a boy to compete for the role of imperial tailor and embarks on an impossible journey to sew three magic dresses, from the sun, the moon, and the stars.
Maia Tamarin dreams of becoming the greatest tailor in the land, but as a girl, the best she can hope for is to marry well. When a royal messenger summons her ailing father, once a tailor of renown, to court, Maia poses as a boy and takes his place. She knows her life is forfeit if her secret is discovered, but she’ll take that risk to achieve her dream and save her family from ruin. There’s just one catch: Maia is one of twelve tailors vying for the job.
Backstabbing and lies run rampant as the tailors compete in challenges to prove their artistry and skill. Maia’s task is further complicated when she draws the attention of the court magician, Edan, whose piercing eyes seem to see straight through her disguise.
And nothing could have prepared her for the final challenge: to sew three magic gowns for the emperor’s reluctant bride-to-be, from the laughter of the sun, the tears of the moon, and the blood of stars. With this impossible task before her, she embarks on a journey to the far reaches of the kingdom, seeking the sun, the moon, and the stars, and finding more than she ever could have imagined.
Other releases this week:
* In no particular order *
– The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman [Purchase]
– The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow #1) by Kalyn Josephson [Purchase]
– Maybe This Time by Kasie West [Purchase]
– Past Perfect Life by Elizabeth Eulberg [Purchase]
– Season of the Witch (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #1) by Sarah Rees Brennan [Purchase]
– The Traitor’s Kingdom (The Traitor’s Circle #3) by Erin Beaty [Purchase]
– The Last Word by Samantha Hastings [Purchase]
– Stealing Home by Becky Wallace [Purchase]
– Wilder Girls by Rory Power [Purchase]
– Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper #2) by Alice Oseman [Purchase]
– The Boy and Girl Who Broke the World by Amy Reed [Purchase]
– The Shortest Distance Between Love & Hate by Sandy Hall [Purchase]
– Heartwood Box by Ann Aguirre [Purchase]
– Magic Heist (Fairy Trafficking #2) by Mary Karlik [Purchase]
– Keen: Banshee Song Series, Book One by Laura L Zimmerman [Purchase]
– The Million Pieces of Neena Gill by Emma Smith-Barton [Purchase]
– Two Dark Moons (Sãoni Cycle, #1) by Avi Silver [Purchase]
What’s on your wishlist this week?
Find previous Fresh Batch posts here!
Latest posts by Giselle (see all)
- Cover Reveal: Saving Kimi by Brooke Stanton - September 23, 2020
- Fresh Batch (August 25th – 31st) - August 24, 2019
- Fresh Batch (July 28th – August 3rd) - July 27, 2019
- Fresh Batch (July 21st – 27th) - July 20, 2019