Empress of a Thousand Skies
Series: Empress of a Thousand Skies #1
Genre: Sci-Fi, YA
Publication date: February 8th, 2017
CROWN PRINCESS RHIANNON TA'AN WANTS VENGEANCE.
The only surviving heir to an ancient Kalusian dynasty, RHEE has spent her life training to destroy the people who killed her family. Now, on the eve of her coronation, the time has finally come for Rhee to claim her throne - and her revenge.
ALYOSHA is a Wraetan who has risen above his war refugee origins to find fame as the dashing star of a DroneVision show. Despite his popularity, Aly struggles with anti-Wraetan prejudices and the pressure of being perfect in the public eye.
Their paths collide with one brutal act of violence: Rhee is attacked, barely escaping with her life. Aly is blamed for her presumed murder.
The princess and her accused killer are forced to go into hiding - even as a war between planets is waged in Rhee's name. But soon, Rhee and Aly discover that the assassination attempt is just one part of a sinister plot. Bound together by an evil that only they can stop, the two fugitives must join forces to save the galaxy.
-A copy was provided by Razorbill for review-
I don’t know how to start this review, guysssssss. Empress of a Thousand Skies WAS AMAZING. LIKE I ACTUALLY CANNOT even formulate words even though its been almost a week since I read it. ITS GOT EVERYTHING. People on the run, royalty, secrets, betrayal and hints of romances. YES, MULTIPLE ROMANCES I THINK. I could be wrong.
Did you really like Illuminae? Read this fucking book and love it even more. Seriously. ITS THAT GOOD.
Reasons to Read Empress of a Thousand Skies
1. The world building. I love the complexity of the world. I love that the racial struggles IRL are addressed through racial struggles within the novel and I love the commentary that is made through these struggles. Empress of a Thousand Skies is and tries to reflect on our society by looking at struggles in this fictional society.
2. Crown Princess Rhiannon Ta’an. I love that being shoved into the real world isn’t easy for her and comes with a learning curve. She is obviously very smart and able to take care of herself but she has been sheltered from the world so being in the real world comes with some surprises.
3. THE PLOT. AKA the reason why this book is addicting and why you will be heartbroken when its all over and you have to wait an entire YEAR for book 2 to come out. This book has it all; mystery, betrayal, urgency and its all combined with good pacing that will keep you turning those pages and getting even more and more anxious about what is going to H A P P E N.
4. Because I said so. I am the only person that matters ever so just read it.
Actual footage of me after finishing the book:
Latest posts by Rashika (see all)
- Cover Reveal for No Limits by Ellie Marney - June 26, 2017
- Required Reading: YA Retellings of the ‘Classics’ - June 22, 2017
- A Poignant Novel That Deals With Immigration: The Lines We Cross by Randa Abdel-Fattah - June 16, 2017
- For the summer feel-good vibes: I Believe In A Thing Called Love by Maurene Goo - June 15, 2017