Today I’ve got the lovely Anna Banks on the blog talking about food to make everyone hungry! 🙂 Let’s take a look at her latest release, first:
A popular guy and a shy girl with a secret become unlikely accomplices for midnight pranking, and are soon in over their heads—with the law and with each other—in this sparkling standalone from NYT-bestselling author Anna Banks.
It’s been years since Carly Vega’s parents were deported. She lives with her brother, studies hard, and works at a convenience store to contribute to getting her parents back from Mexico.
Arden Moss used to be the star quarterback at school. He dated popular blondes and had fun with his older sister, Amber. But now Amber’s dead, and Arden blames his father, the town sheriff who wouldn’t acknowledge Amber's mental illness. Arden refuses to fulfill whatever his conservative father expects.
All Carly wants is to stay under the radar and do what her family expects. All Arden wants is to NOT do what his family expects. When their paths cross, they each realize they’ve been living according to others. Carly and Arden’s journey toward their true hearts—and one another—is funny, romantic, and sometimes harsh.
Guest Post by Anna Banks
Carly’s Favorite Meal—Southern Fried Chicken & Waffles
So as you may already know, Carly is a Mexican American dealing with some pretty deep issues in JOYRIDE. While she loves and misses the comforting, authentic Mexican food that her mother used to cook—the dishes which her brother Julio now bludgeons in his efforts to feed them—she’s grown to appreciate some of the specialties of the south. Arden’s adoration of a certain dish rubbed off on her, as did a lot of Arden’s qualities, and now her favorite comfort food is Southern Fried Chicken & Waffles, especially the way Uncle Cletus makes it.
While making this meal, please be courteous and cultivate a southern accent while sipping sweet iced tea…
First, start with the BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN TENDERS.
2 cups buttermilk
Chicken breast tenderloins
Vegetable oil for frying chicken
4 cups all purpose flour
1 tbs. garlic powder
1 tbs. black pepper
2 tbs. kosher salt
1 tbs. smoked paprika
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Marinate the chicken tenders in buttermilk for at least 6 to 8 hours.
- Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- Dredge the chicken tenders in the flour mixture until completely coated. Place the chicken on a wire rack to dry them out a little before frying.
- While the chicken is drying, slowly heat up the vegetable oil in a cast iron or heavy pan deep enough for frying. When the oil starts to ripple just a little bit, add a small piece of breadcrumb. If the breadcrumb sizzles when you put it in, the oil is ready. Do not add too much chicken to the oil at one time. Fry in small batches.
5. Place the chicken tenders on plenty of paper towels to drain. Lightly salt the tenders as soon as they come out of the oil, if desired.
Dry Ingredients Wet Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour 2 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder 4 tbs. melted butter (cooled!)
2 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. kosher salt 2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
3 tbs. sugar
- Whisk together dry ingredients and set aside.
- Whisk eggs until they are smooth, then add the melted butter as you continue to whisk. Note: Make sure the butter is cooled after melted so it does not cook the eggs!
- Add the vanilla, whisk until smooth, and continue to whisk as you add the buttermilk.
- Use a spatula to mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Do not overmix; batter will be lumpy. Let batter stand for at least 5 minutes.
- While your batter is resting, heat up your waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions. When the iron is ready, lightly spray the top and bottom with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Scoop the batter onto the waffle iron. (Insert Pour Waffle in Wafflemaker pic)
- Spread batter to about 1 inch from the outer surface of waffle iron. (Insert Spread Over Wafflemaker Pic)
- Follow waffle iron instructions on how long to cook the waffles.
- Retrieve waffle from the waffle iron carefully, keeping all sections intact.
- Spread butter to taste on waffle, add a little maple syrup, a few chicken tenders, then drizzle it (drown it!) all with more maple syrup.
About the Author
New York Times Bestselling author of The Syrena Legacy series.
Grew up in a town called Niceville. No, seriously. I graduated from Niceville High School. So did J Lo’s second husband. And the guy that plays Aqua Man on Smallville dated my best friend.
Now I indulge my tendency to lie by writing the lies down and selling them to publishers. Well actually my agent sells it, so she’s an accomplice to lies. One of my lies is called OF POSEIDON. The sequel is called OF TRITON. The last and final installment is OF NEPTUNE, and it released May 13, 2014. Be on the lookout for JOYRIDE, my YA Contemporary out June 2, 2015–Bonnie & Clyde meets Latina Pretty in Pink!
And um. I also write adult fiction under pen name Anna Scarlett. One of the adult lies is DEGREES OF WRONG.
That is all.
Thanks to the lovely people at Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, I have a copy of Joyride that you can enter to win!
Open to US and Canada
Use the Rafflecopter below to enter